Shark

Headington history: Shops

Follow this pointer to view each former shop in turn  Next

Corner of New High Street

The two photographs above and below showing the New High Street corner of the London Road
(taken by Jill Slaymaker and June Whitehouse respectively in the 1980s) show how much
parts of Headington shopping centre have changed dramatically even in recent years

Pennies
Pennies, Headington Sports, the Sewing & Knitting Machine Centre, ?, and the Oxford Video Club

The shops below each have a separate page giving their history. They are listed in the order in which they were built (although many of them started off as private houses). Follow the pointer at the top of the page to view each of the shops in turn

c.1830s

Mount Pleasant (now a hotel)
74–76 London Road

1852

21 Windsor Street (now residential)

1880

Joseph Skey’s grocer’s shop (now residential)
39 New High Street (Bateman Street corner)

Shop at 24 New High Street (now residential)

1888

Rosslyn Villa
5 & 6 The Parade, Windmill Road

1890

The Currills’ shoe shop and grocery shops
299/301 and later 291/293 London Road

1892

The original Headington Co-op
On the corner of Windmill and London Road

1893

West’s Garden Centre (now residential)
74 Windmill Road

1896

H. E. Berry’s butcher’s shop (now residential)
82 (formerly 46) Old High Street

c.1896

1–16 Westbourne Terrace, now 107–137 London Road
107: Former police house
113: Baxter’s butcher’s shop
115: See G. H. Williams below
123: Vallis’s baker’s shop
127–131: Ager’s Draper’s shop

c.1903

Dairy in All Saints Road (behind 73 Lime Walk): now demolished

1908

G. H. Williams’ bicycle and sweet shops (later shop now rebuilt)
Originally 138/140 London Road, and later 115 London Road

1909

112 and 114 London Road
Two old shops between two newer developments

1910

Newsagent/tobacconist shop
14 Windmill Road

1912

Mrs Jeffrey’s butcher’s shop (now residential)
58 Windmill Road

1915

Headington's original post office (now rebuilt as Victory House)
116–120 London Road

1916

146, 148, and 148a London Road

1922

Ernest Skey’s grocer’s shop
8 Windmill Road

1923

97 and 99 London Road

1924

93 and 95 London Road

1924

101 London Road

1926

103 London Road

1927

Walker’s Furniture
71 London Road

1924

Fred Grain’s sweet & stationery shop
72A Windmill Road

1920s

Carfax Buildings
1–7 Old High Street

1935

Maypole Dairy / Headington Homewares
3 The Parade, Windmill Road

1938

Former fish & chip shop (now rebuilt as Scott Fraser)
81 London Road

1956

Lily Crane/Time & Elegance
9A Windmill Road (+ 9 and 11 Windmill Road)

1958

The shops under Holyoake Hall
All seven existing shops were once part of the Co-op

1975

The Supermarket in Old High Street (now Waitrose)
(including the previous history of the site)

Headington’s old post offices
(Old Headington, New Headington, and Quarry)

Headington’s banks

Below: Westbourne Terrace, which runs between Old High Street and Bury Knowle Park,
before it was converted into shops (from Ian Garrett)
Westbourne Terrace

Below: London Road in the early 1940sLondon Road in 1940s

See also “Headington’s shops in 1976” in the “Reminiscences” section

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home