8 Windmill Road
Photograph reproduced by kind permission of Mary Freeman
of Risinghurst, Headington, daughter of Ernest Skey
Joseph Skey (the grocer at 39 New High Street) opened this shop at 8 Windmill Road in 1922 for his son, Ernest (right), to run. Its premises ran right through to the present Kennett Road, where there is now a newer house.
Joseph R. Skey & Son remained here until 1937. This picture shows Ernest Skey in the 1920s outside the shop. The wooden framework above the door has now disappeared (but has been retained by its semi-detached neighbour).
William Whitchelo was a furniture dealer here for a short time from 1937, followed by the antique dealer C. Biggs, from 1941 to 1955.
It was then Walker’s Baby Shop until the early 1980s.
From the early 1980s to 2008 it was a chemist shop: first Hornby, then Moss, and finally Alliance. This closed in in September 2008, and the shop remained empty until August 2010 when Reynold’s Blinds moved in.