Shark

Headington history: Shops

Go backwards
Go forwards

146, 148, and 148a London Road


146-148A London Road

Nos. 146 and 148 London Road were originally a pair of semi-detached houses, built before 1911, while No. 148A to the east was added on in the early 1930s.

The photograph above was taken in c.2000, when the present Yummy was a recently closed butcher’s shop, the former Bar Meze was the Crispy Duck, and the Asian Mama Chinese restaurant was called the Hang Chow.


Brief history of this group of buildings

146 London Road (formerly No. 66 or “2 Sandmere Villas”)

Dates

Private and commercial occupants

1911–1927

William Taylor, Carpenter & Picture framer

1929–1934

Mrs D. Rogers, Confectioner

1935

No listing in Kelly’s Directory

1936–1937

A. John Hawkins, grocer

1938

Frank B. Matthews, grocer

1939–1968

George W. Murphy, grocer

1970–1976+

Wakelin & Belcher (later Wakelin & Sons), secondhand dealers

1979

79/01010/A_H: Planning application for change of use from shop to restaurant approved

Early 1980s–
1995+

Michel’s Café Français

Late1990s–2001

Le Brasserie

c.2001–2002

Crispy Duck restaurant

c.2002–present

Bar Meze

148 London Road (formerly No. 68 or “1 Sandmere Villas”)

Dates

Private and commercial occupants

1911

Frank Dalloway, grocer’s assistant

1923–1934

Mrs Webb

1935–1936

Christopher James Biggs, Butcher

1937–1976+

Harold E. Weaver, Butcher

1980s–c.2000

Martin’s Family Butchers

2001–2006

La Patisserie Imperiale
Originally a patisserie, from 2003 a café: 03/00489/FUL: Application for change of use from retail shop (Class A1) to cafe (Class A3) approved

2006–present

Yummy

148a London Road

Dates

148A

148B

148C

1935–1937

Walker’s Baby Carriage Store

1938

Christopher J. Biggs, Furniture dealer

1943–1972

Robert George Morris, Bootmaker

Miss Doris M. Jones, Wardrobe dealer
(1947–1970)



Park Snack Bar
(1947–60)

Park Café
(1952–1964)

Bobbie’s Snack Bar (1970)

Headington Christian Spiritualist Church

1974–1975

The Studio, photographer (1974), no listing in 1975

Bobbie’s Snack Bar

No listing

1976–1979

The Barbican (restaurant)

1979–present

Hang Chow Chinese Restaurant and Takeaway
renamed The Chinese Restaurant in 2009
and Asian Mama in 2011

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home