Shark

Headington history: Shops

Go backwards
Go forwards

G.H. Williams’ two cycle shops


G. H. Williams & Son founded his cycle business in Headington in 1912, and it was still run by his grandchildren when it closed 84 years later on 17 June 2006. It has had two locations on the London Road:

  • A large double shop on the south side by the corner of Holyoake (then Western) Road, which was originally numbered 60, but renumbered 138 & 140 in the early 1930s
  • A smaller shop on the opposite side of the London Road, originally numbered 37 but renumbered 115 in the early 1930s.

138–140 London Road (1908–1955)

G.H. Williams shop in 1937

The original G.H. Williams shop is shown above, when it was celebrating a royal event (probably the coronation of George VI in 1937). The section on the left, which sold sweets and tobacco, has an advertisement on the door for Eldorado ice-cream and another over the door for Fry’s cocoa, while the windows advertise Cadbury’s Chocolate. Cycles (made in the area behind the shop) were sold in the right-hand section. Cycles were also repaired there, and petrol could also be purchased from the pump on the pavement to the right.

The picture below shows the same shop in 2004, prior to demolition in early 2006.

Cotswold Collection

The story of G.H. Williams starts when John and Sarah Ward of Horspath moved to Headington in the 1850s. They lived in the house which now forms the right-hand side of the Mount Pleasant Hotel on the London Road, and John Ward, who was a brickmaker, probably came to help build New Headington just round the corner. They brought with them their youngest children, including their daughter Letitia (Lettice).

George Williams of Chadlington met and married Letitia, and they settled in Old Headington in the 1860s. Their son, George Henry Williams, who was to found the firm, was born on 3 July 1882 and baptised in St Andrew’s Church.

South end of Lime Walk

 

In December 1885 George Williams senior purchased land in Lime Walk from the Revd John Taylor and built 117 Walk for his family, including a laundry for his wife. He later built 128 Lime Walk and a pair of semis around the corner in Old Road.

 

This postcard (right) shows Lime Walk from Old Road in about 1900: the Williams’ house is the fourth house back on the right.

Also in the mid-1880s, the Oxford furnisher Harry Neville Prior built himself a grand country mansion which he named Highfield Park (now the Park Hospital), whose main gates were opposite the south end of Lime Walk. Harry’s son Sydney H. Prior obtained a BA in Chemistry from Exeter College, Oxford in 1893 and shortly afterwards followed the example of William Morris and started up the Highfield Motor and Cycle Works in the grounds of Highfield House, where George Williams, came to work for him as a cycle-maker

Prior advertisement

 

By 1907, Prior opened a proper retail shop in a brand-new building on the corner of Holyoake Road, where he made and sold the “Highfield Cycle”. The advertisement on the right is from Bennett’s Business Directory of 1913.

Sydney Prior’s shop

 

 

 

Left Prior’s shop can be seen in the middle of this group of houses, just the other side of Holyoake (then called Western) Road. This detail is taken from a postcard of about 1907.

G.H. Williams advertisement, 1936

 

 

George Henry Williams was put in charge of the retail side of the business, and lived over the shop. The 1911 census shows him aged 28 and described as a cycle maker living at the “Cycle Works, London Road” with his wife Florence Ellen (27) and his eldest child Edith Patricia (3).

In 1912 he bought the shop. He renamed it G.H. Williams Cycle Maker & Repairer, and began to sell toys, confectionery and tobacco, as well as petrol. The advertisement on the right is from Kelly’s Directory of 1936.

The firm of G.H. Williams & Son remained at 138 & 140 London Road until the mid-1950s, when it moved to smaller premises across the road.

138–140 London Road (formerly No. 60)

Dates

Occupant of shop

1907–1912

S.H. Prior & Co., Highfield Motor and Cycle Works

1912–1954

George H. Williams, shopkeeper/cycle agent

1956

No listing in Kelly’s Directory

1958–1980

Part of the Oxford & District Co-operative Society, which stretched all the way from Windmill Road to Holyoake Road, and then across the road to include this shop

Early 1980s–1995

Shergold’s Ironmongers (who moved from 87 London Road).
In about 1993 they became Carpenter Shergold’s

c.1996–1999

Hacienda Homeware, Cookware, & Retail

c.1999–2006

Cotswold Collection

2007: Original building demolished and rebuilt

2008–2010

Ripples Bathroom showroom

2010–2014

Vacant

2014–present

Skipton Building Society


115 London Road (1955–2006)

G. H. Williams in 1956
The above photograph was taken by the firm J. E. Billings & Co of Canal Street on
24 October 1956, shortly after they had fitted a new shopfront for G. H. Williams

G. H. Williams, London Road

 

 

 

George Henry Williams junior (who had been born in the old shop in 1911) moved the business across the road to 5 Westbourne Terrace (now 115 London Road) in the mid-1950s. He sold and repaired cycles here, and the shop also had a fishing-tackle and sweets section.

G.H. Williams junior continued to work in the new shop until he was in his nineties, together with his son, daughter, and son-in-law.

The shop closed in June 2006, and G.H. Williams junior died on 28 December 2006 at the age of 95.

The sixteen houses of Westbourne Terrace were built in the 1890s: they are not listed in the 1891 census, but appear on the 1898 Ordnance Survey map of Headington.

115 London Road
(formerly No. 37 London Road and 5 Westbourne Terrace)

Private and commercial occupants

1901 census

Fred Hall Taylor, hairdresser

1911 census

Thomas Burrows, retired college servant

1925–1949

Sydney Howard Cox

1952

Layton’s of Oxford (Motors) Ltd (showrooms) (Their main premises were behind, where Waitrose is now)

1954

No listing in Kelly’s Directory

1956–2006

G. H. Williams & Son, cycles

2008

Café Online internet café

2010

LJ Discount Store

2011–present

Eurofoods Polish supermarket

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home