123 London Road, Headington
This shop was the ninth of the sixteen houses of Westbourne Terrace, built between Old High Street and Bury Knowle Park in the 1890s. In the 1920s the address of this house was 45 London Road, but it was renumbered 123 in 1933.
This was originally a private house numbered 9 Westbourne Terrace. In 1901 the house appears to have been unoccupied, but at the time of the 1911 census a widowed laundress, Annie Coxhill (50), worked at home from here, and lived with her daughter Josephine (22) and her son Arthur (20), who was a factory clerk.
Westbourne Terrace in 1916, when it was a row of private houses
It remained a private house until 1928, when Edward Alfred Taylor, who had lived there since 1925, listed himself as a joinery manufacturer in the business section of Kelly’s Directory. (Taylor, the son of Daniel and Charlotte Taylor of Headington Quarry, would have been over 40 at this time, as his baptism is recorded at St Andrew’s Church on 27 March 1887.) In 1929 he must have gone into partnership, as the business is listed as “Taylor & Norman, carpenters, 45 London Road & Northfield Road”. By 1930, the name of the business here had changed to Taylor & Norman, builders. Taylor continued to live in the house.
By 1933 Barton Bakeries (whose proprietor was W.H. Beaument, later joined by J.H Beaument) occupied the shop, and it was to remain a baker’s shop for the next fifty years. Barton Bakeries are listed here until 1960, then in 1962 only Abbey Café Ltd, bakers is listed here.
From 1964 until the early 1980s the shop was occupied by A.G. Vallis & Sons, bakers of Headington Quarry.
In the 1990s this shop became the Lebanese Sandwich Shop, and this changed to Mojo’s Café and Sandwich Bar in the twenty-first century.