North end of Windmill Road
The postcard above shows the top end of Windmill Road in about 1905. The west side of the road is undeveloped, as it was part of the field (now mostly occupied by Kennett Road) bought back by William Latimer when the rest of the Latimer land on that side of the road was sold in 1848 development of New Headington village.
On the left is the 1892 Co-op (now Hampton's Estate Agents). The houses next to it are much the same as they are today, although their gardens have been taken away and their ground floors spoilt in the process of turning them into shops.
Notice the pump in the old picture (Headington had no piped water until 1914) and the fact that the pavements are not made up. The sign above the window of the old Co-op reads “Grocery Department / Drapery.”