Saccy's Pit (or Horwood's Pit)
The postcard above by Henry Taunt shows the pit that was named after Saccy Horwood, a village totter who lived in a cottage at one end of this pit. The cottage on the left of the picture is the present 47/49 Quarry High Street; the large house on the right is 24 Quarry High Street; and the one in the centre is 63 Pitts Road.
The engraving below shows an earlier view of what became known as Saccy Horwood's pit (c.1820), looking in a different direction, with the Chequers Inn behind.
This pit was in the heart of Quarry village and was still being used as a rubbish tip in 1914.
The detail on the left from the 1921 map of Headington Quarry shows Saccy's Pit marked as an old quarry.
Quarry children liked to use this pit as a slide in the early twentieth century, as it was particularly deep
The pit is now filled in and is the site of Beaumont Alley.