Shark

Headington history: Pubs and beerhouses

Go backwards
Go forwards

Ampleforth Arms


Ampleforth ArmsPictured above in 2006. The new pub will include housing

The Ampleforth Arms pub at 53 Collinwood Road, Risinghurst was built by Ind Coope in 1939 when the Risinghurst estate was newly developed. It became the local of C. S. Lewis, who lived nearby at The Kilns.

The pub closed in 2014, but the Amp Revival group got it listed as an asset of community value and fought to keep it at least in part as a pub

The planning application for the pub submitted by Box Development Management Ltd in December 2016 was approved by the East Area Planning Committee on 8 March 2017. This was for:

“Part demolition of the existing public house. Part redevelopment and conversion to create a new community run public house at basement and ground floor level and 3 x 2-bed and 3 x 3 bed residential apartments over ground, first and second floors. Erection of 1 x 3-bed dwellinghouse (Use Class C3). Provision of private amenity space, landscaping, car parking and associated infrastructure”.

The pub will be run by members of the community, and a complete refurbishment started at the beginning of October 2017.


Links

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home