The postcard above shows the London Road looking east in about 1905, with Holyoake Terrace on the right.
The shop just to the east of Holyoake Road (which was called Western Road until the 1950s) survived until 2007. The buildings to the east of that again later became shops, but were still terraced houses with small front gardens in this postcard.
London Road was primarily a residential area at this time, because the villages of Old Headington, New Headington, and Quarry all had their own high streets and shops.
Holyoake Terrace was built by the Co-op for its Headington employees in 1907 and named after George Jacob Holyoake, an important man in the Co-op movement, who had died the previous year.
The terrace was demolished in 1938–9 to make way for Holyoake Hall, which was first a dance hall, then a snooker hall, and now flats. Originally all the shops at ground level were occupied by the Co-op.