South Africa (Boer) War Memorial
Sadly, this memorial was moved from Headington when the Territorial Army Centre closed, and in 2009 it became the centrepiece of the new Edward Brooks Barracks in Abingdon

The South Africa (Boer) War Memorial is dedicated to the 142 men of the First Battalion Oxfordshire Light Infantry who died in the South African (Boer) War of 1899 to 1902.
The monument was designed by an art metal worker of London called Gawthorp and the sculptor was John Edward Hyett. It is made of Portland stone and is about nine feet high. It shows a soldier in pith helmet and South African campain uniform, holding his rifle in the ready position. It originally stood in the former churchyard of St Clement’s Church (now the site of the Plain roundabout).
The memorial on the Plain in 1907
The memorial was unveiled by the Bishop of Oxford on 19 September 1903 in the in front of a crowd of up to five thousand people. The 1st Battalion of the OBLI were under orders for India, and the ceremony took place while it was still unfinished so that they could be present: there was no statue on top of the plinth at the time. The procession, headed by the Mayor’s sergeant carrying the mace, started at Magdalen College School in Cowley Place. Lieutenant General Green Wilkinson said that the memorial was “a sacred possession, and would be handed down for many years in the City of Oxford amongst the beautiful buildings and historic houses”. The Mayor said that they had tried to find a site even more public than this one at the Plain, but it would nevertheless “be always prominent before the citizens”.
- View of the remains of St Clement's churchyard with the Boer War memorial in 1939 (University of Oxford)
- Information about the memorial on the Imperial War Museum website
The memorial has been moved three times since 1950:
- It was moved to Cowley Barracks in 1950 when the Plain roundabout was created
- In 1966, when Cowley Barracks was due to close down, it was moved to the Territorial Army Centre at Slade Park in Horspath Driftway, Headington
- In 2008 it moved with the County Territorials to their new TA Centre in Abingdon, and forms the centrepiece of the entrance to Edward Brooks Barracks (This means that a memorial to the First Battalion of the Oxfordshire Light Infantry stands in what was Berkshire at the time of the Boer War.)
The memorial lists the 33 men of the First Battalion of the Oxfordshire Light Infantry who were killed in action and the 109 men who died of disease. The front panel which originally faced the city of Oxford bears an inscription, and the other three panels bear the names listed below:
Killed in actionMajor: Lieutenant: Second Lieutenant: Colour-Sergeant: Lance-Sergeant: Corporal: Lance-Corporals: Privates: |
Died of DiseaseMajor: Colour-Sergeants: Sergeants: Lance-Sergeant: Corporals Lance Corporals: Buglers: Privates: |
|

Above: Photograph that belonged to Annie Collins, née Hedges (1879–1941)
showing the unveiling of the base of the memorial on on 19 September 1903
