16 St Andrew’s Road
16 St Andrew’s Road is the last in a row of houses dating from around 1700. It is a more humble home than its neighbours, and is built of random rubble (now painted white).
The building was described thus by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, published in 1939:
(266) House, No. 16 Church Street, 20 yards W. of (265), is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and contains an original stone fireplace with a four-centred head and some exposed framing. Condition—Good.
This house was held under the Manor of Heddington, and the Court Rolls of that manor describe it as “one messuage, one yard, one garden, and common of pasture for two heifers and a bullock and ten sheep”.
In 1760 this copyhold property was inherited by Richard Drewitt from his father of the same name. Richard junior left it in turn in 1789 to his daughter Mrs Ann Trafford, wife of the sawyer William Trafford, for her lifetime, after which it was to go to his grandson, William Trafford.
In 1820 the house was sold to Joseph Pates, a baker, and his wife Sarah Coombs for £170. They do not appear to have lived in this house: in his will Joseph describes it as “the house as that my sister Phillips lives in now as is eld under Edward Latemer Esq”. Joseph died in 1834, and the 1841 census shows Mrs Sarah Phillips living in St Andrew’s Road (then called Church Road) as a widow with her two youngest daughters, though not necessarily in this house.
Sarah Phillips died in 1848, and the estate then rested in the hands of Joseph’s trustees, James Coombs (Mrs Sarah Pates’ brother) and Thomas Burrows of Southfield Farm, for nearly 30 years. In 1877 the second of Joseph’s trustees died, and Mrs Ann Pates, the widow of Sarah’s eldest son William, acquired absolute title to the copyhold. She did not live in the house, but rented it out: she is listed in the 1861 census as the beerhouse keeper of the Fox in Barton, and by 1881 she was living at 373 Kennington Road, Lambeth.
The Headington Rent-Book of 1850 shows the house as then being in the ownership of Anne Pates and divided into two tenements occupied by Williams and Freeman. The 1851 census accordingly shows Nathaniel Freeman, a dealer of minerals, living on his own in one section of the house and a butcher called Joseph Williams with his wife, three children, and a servant in the other. In 1861, it looks as though the house was occupied by families called Sawyer and Jeffs.
At the time of the 1871 census each section of the house was occupied by an agricultural labourer, each of who was named George Louch. The first George Louch lived there with his wife, eight children, and brother-in-law John Green, and the second with his wife and lodger. The Louches were still there in 1881, when Ann Pates sold the house to a college servant, Henry Carr, of 72 High Street, Oxford, for £100. Six years later in 1887 he enfranchised the house (i.e. acquired its freehold from the Manor of Heddington), at which time its two sections were occupied by George Louch and Ernest Phillips respectively.
At the time of the 1891 census, one half was still occupied by Ernest Phillips (a bricklayer’s labourer) and the other by a shepherd, Joseph Fray, together with their respective families.
In Within Living Memory, Gertie Hedges mentions that her family later lived in this house.
Miss Bedford Bateman lived here in 1935, and Geoffrey Barraclough, Fellow of Merton, in 1936.
Miss C. B. Marsh lived here from 1945 to 1952, and then Flight-Lieutenannt John Green from 1954 to 1956.
The name St Andrew's Road was given to Church Road in 1955.
Geoffrey W. Dodd lived here from 1960 to 1962, George McMahon in 1964, Charles Donaldson from 1966 to 1968, and Robin C. Dean from 1972 to 1973.