Shark

Headington history: Streets

Go backwards
Go forwards

Shotover Hill Place


In 1857 by an Act of Parliament the extra-parochial area of Shotover was divided into two civil parishes called Shotover and Shotover Hill Place, which were henceforth listed as coming under the Headington Union. Shotover Hill Place was close up against Headington Quarry on both the east and south sides, and covered a large but narrow area from the present Thornhill Park on the London Road to the part of Old Road to the east of Quarry Road, just as it starts to go uphill to Shotover.

On 6 February 1869 John Hudson, described in his probate record as being “of Shotover Place”, died in Oxford at the age of 67. Jackson's Oxford Journal of 20 March 1869 advertised a sale of live and dead farming stock, building materials, and household furniture upon Hudson's premises, Shotover Hill Place, by direction of his administrators. Then on 5 March 1870 the following advertisement appeared, implying that the house itself was called Shotover Place:

SHOTOVER HILL
TO BE LET, unfurnished,—A RESIDENCE HOUSE, with Stabling and Garden Ground, called “Shotover Hill Place,” situate near the Turnpike Road, at a distance of three miles from Oxford. The House, which is admirably built, has two good rooms on the ground floor, kitchen, pantry, and other conveniences; five bed rooms on the second floor, and four rooms above; stabling for two horses, coach-house, and two rooms adjoining.

The next mention in that newspaper of Shotover Hill Place, this time clearly as an area, was on 18 March 1876, when an inquest was held into the death of Alice Trafford (61), the widow of Thomas Trafford of Shotover Hill Place was reported.

There were still only nineteen houses in Shotover Hill Place by the time of the 1881 census:

1881 census

“The whole of the Parish of Shotover Hill Place. Including Shotover Lodge & Cottage on the London Road called Hudson's, Shotover Hill Farm, Phillips Cottage in Brickyard, 3 Cottages in the Lane, 2 newly built Cottages and 2 others near the Pond, Coppock Cottage, Brooks & Cottages. Pether's 2 Cottages on the South Side of Old London Road, one Cottage & Phipps's House on the North Side. Towles Farm & Badcocks House on the Hill, South Side of Old Road adjoining West Hill Farm”

Civil parish: Shotover Hill Place
Rural Sanitary District of Headington
Hamlet: Shotover Hill Place
Ecclesiastical Parish or District: Holy Trinity

Schedule No and
name of house
/area

Household members

1. (Not named)

Jacob Baker, a gardener,  plus his wife Harriett and two children

2. Shotover Lodge
[here on former Nielsen's site on London Road]

Joseph Henley, J.P., D.L, Govt Inspector, plus his wife Kate, two children, daughter-in-law, grandson, and six servants

3. Shotover Hill

John Coppock (52), farmer, plus his wife Elizabeth and five children

4. Round House

Daniel Stevens (60), brick burner, plus his wife

5. Hedges Kilns

Ellen Phillips (53), married brick merchant, plus four children and one grandchild

6. (Not named)
[was cottage in brickyard]

Tom Phillips (24), brickyard labourer, plus his wife and two children

7. (Not named)

Thomas Jones (64), married brick maker, plus his servant

8. (Not named)

Stephen Bushnell  (33), mason, plus his wife Amelia, two children, and a lodger

9. (Not named)

Joseph Barratt (72), widowed former gamekeeper

10. Quarry

Thomas Trafford (29), plus his wife Ann and two sons

11. (Not named)

Joseph Trafford (43), brickmaker, plus his wife Ann and seven children

12. (Not named)

Charles Jacob (48), labourer, plus his wife Fanny and three children

13. (Not named)

Robert Trafford (77), brick labourer, plus his wife Ann and his daughter and granddaughter

14. Old Road

Robert Coppock (55), brickmaker, plus his wife Harriet and three children

15. Old Road
[Probably Huggins Cottage]

William Kimber (30), bricklayer, plus his wife Selina and four children

16. Old Road

William Green (26), agricultural labourer, plus his wife Tryphena and three children

17. Old Road

Andrew Pinner (53), widowed agricultural labourer, plus his daughter

18. Old Road

Henry Morris (66), brick maker, plus his wife Sarah and his two sons, and grandson

19. Old Road

Richard Gurden (39), brick labourer, plus his laundress wife Emily, his father-in-law, and three children

The Secretary of the Headington Union inserted a notice in Jackson's Oxford Journal of 18 June 1881. It begins:

WHEREAS the Parishes of Shotover and Shotover Hill Place, in the Headington Union, and in the County of Oxford, were, or were reputed to be, extra-parochial places at the time of the passing of the Act of the Twentieth year of her present Majesty [1857], Chapter Nineteen, intituled “An Act to provide for the Relief of the Poor in extra-parochial places”

and goes on to suggest that the relief of the poor there “could be better administered if the same or any part or parts thereof were amalgamated with the adjoining Parish of Forest Hill, or other parishes”. In that year the new civil parish of “Forest Hill with Shotover” was formed with the merger of three smaller civil parishes (Forest Hill, Shotover, and Shotover Hill Place).

Later in 1881 the parishes of Shotover and Shotover Hill Place were was joined to the parish of Forest Hill to form the civil parish of Forest Hill with Shotover, but the latter remained very much part of Headington Quarry, and Kelly's Directory of 1899 states, “Shotover Hill Place, formerly ex-parochial, is now included with Forest Hill, and is part of Headington Quarry district”. Between 1866 and 1911 at least 45 babies born in this thinly populated area were baptised at Holy Trinity Church, and they would have attended Headington Quarry National School, which opened in 1864. Fifteen people who lived in Shotover Place were buried in Holy Trinity churchyard between 1883 and 1908.

The first mention of Shotover Hill Place in the Headington Quarry section of directories was in 1883, and its population was then given as 111. Directories at this time concentrated on significant people, and so only George Coppock of the Six Bells in Quarry who was also a brick, tile, & pipe maker at Shotover Hill Place and John Coppock, farmer are listed in that district in the decade from 1883 to 1893.

On, 20 January 1883 Jackson's Oxford Journal reported that Richard Parsons of Shotover Hill Place was summoned for neglecting to send his children to school.

The Times of 17 December 1884 reported that the proposed Parliamentary division of Woodstock would consist of “the petty sessional divisions of Ploughley, South Wootton, Bampton East and Bampton West, the Parliamentary borough of Oxford, the parishes of Beckley, Cutslow, Elsfield, Forest-hill, with Shotover-hill-place, Hampton Gay, Hampton Poyle, Horton-cum Studley Noke, Stanton St. John, Stowwood, Studley, Woodeaton, Woolvercott (part of), and such parts of Headington Marston [sic] as were not included in the Parliamentary borough of Oxford”, making it the largest division in the county with a population of 49,500.

The 1891 census duly listed Shotover Hill Place immediately following on from Forest Hill Shotover, and not as a separate parish any more, so the first schedule number this time is 55, rather than 1:

1891 census

The relevant part of the description reads: “& also the whole of Shotover Hill place also amalgamated with Forest Hill by S.G.B. order 12641 including Shotover Lodge and Cottages adjoining on London Rd, Coppock's Brick Kiln & House, Philips Brick Kiln & Cottages, Haynes Cottage, the Round House, Quarry Copse Hill, Spring Cottage, old Spring, 4 cottages in old London Road, Elkerton Cottage near Public Pound, ... & cottage on Cowley Common called Towel's Cottage formerly belonging to Cowley. Whole in the Parliamentary Div: of Mid Oxon”. In the margin of the description is the note: "Ecc. Dis. of Holy Trinity, Headington Quarry”

Civil parish: Forest Hill with Shotover
Village: Shotover Hill Place
Rural Sanitary District: Headington
Parliamentary Division: Mid Oxon
Ecclesiastical Parish or District: Holy Trinity

The enumerator has written "Formerly Shotover Hill Place” in the margin of the following pages, as it was no longer a civil parish in its own right, but part of Forest Hill

Schedule No and
name of house
/area

Household members

55. Shotover Hill Place

William Boffin (34), a farm labourer, plus his wife Emma and two children

56. Shotover Hill Place

Joseph Belcher (41), a shepherd, plus his wife Elizabeth and two children

57. Shotover Hill

Thomas Weller (48), a farm labourer, plus his wife Sarah and six children

58. Shotover Hill Place

Daniel Stevens (71), a brick burner, plus his wife Hannah

59. Shotover Hill Place

Ellen Phillips (64), plus her son Edwin, a brick maker, and their servant girl

60. Shotover Hill Place

George Trafford (26), a brickmaker, plus his wife Emily

One uninhabited

61. Shotover Hill Place

Thomas Hooper (32), a bricklayer, plus his laundress wife Ann and their five children

62. Shotover Hill Place

Francis William Kerry (36), a brickfield labourer, and his wife Alice and six children

63. Shotover Hill Place

Henry James Horwood (31), a general labourer, plus his wife Sarah Elizabeth and three children

64. Shotover Hill Place

Thomas Trafford (39), a brickfield labourer, plus his wife Anne and three children

65. Shotover Hill Place

William Auger (36), blacksmith, plus his wife Esther and six children

66. Shotover Hill Place

James Banister (61), a farm labourer, plus his wife Mary Ann, two sons, and a granddaughter

67. Shotover Hill Place

Rebecca Coppock (40), a widowed laundress, plus five children

68. Shotover Hill Place

Joseph Trafford, (59), a general labourer, plus his wife Mary and six children

69. Shotover Hill Place

Edward Gomm (43), a farm labourer, plus his laundress wife Elizabeth and one son

70. Shotover Hill Place

Robert Coppock (68), labourer, plus his laundress wife Harriet and one daughter and a grandson

71. Shotover Hill Place

Charles Parsons (23), brickfield labourer, plus his wife and two children

72. Shotover Hill Place
(Probably Huggins Cottage
in Old Road )

Thomas Huggins (49), a brickfield labourer, plus his wife Mary and one son

73. Shotover Hill Place

Anthony Pimm (72), a widowed general labourer, plus his son

74. Shotover Hill Place

Edward Morris (53), an unmarried carter, plus his brother Robert, a carman

75. Shotover Hill Place

Henry Kerry (32), a general labourer, plus his wife Louisa and two children

76. Shotover Hill Place

Edward Bannister (49), a brickfield labourer, plus his wife Ann plus three children and a granddaughter

77. Towel's Cottage
formerly in Cowley Parish

Abel Bricknell (25), a market gardener, plus his wife Emily and one son

One uninhabited

There are then four Shotover households listed (78, 79, 80, 81), then Bayswater Mill and Farm plus a cottage at Forest Hill (82 and 83), and then the enumerator has this entry before adding some houses missed in Littleworth and coming to the end of his book

84. Shotover Hill Place

Charles Gillman (34), an artist/sculptor, plus his wife Elizabeth and their servant

The description of the 1891 census refers to “Elkerton Cottage near public pound”, and Pound House Quarry is understood to have been at Shotover Hill Place.

The population of Shotover Hill Place went up to 121 in 1893 and 231 in 1894. It remained (suspiciously) at that same number for ten years up to and including 1903, but was revised to 112 in 1904. The figure of 112 continued to be given until Kelly's Directory of 1910, after which it no longer mentions Shotover Hill Place.

When Headington was taken into the city of Oxford in 1929, Shotover Hill Place was not included because it was outside the Headington boundary. Most of it today still remains in the parish of Forest Hill with Shotover and comes under South Oxfordshire District Council, except for the part near the London Road (primarily Shotover Lodge), which was taken into Oxford in 1991.


Shotover Lodge (later renamed Forest Lodge)

Shotover Lodge was the grandest house in Shotover Hill Place, and was a considerable distance both from the rest of that area and from Headington Quarry. It stood in isolation on the south side of the London Road between Forest Hill and Headington (see its position on map), and later its remaining 22½ acre grounds were occupied by Nielsen's (now the flats of Thornhill Park).

Shotover LodgeThe former Shotover Lodge/Forest Lodge in December 2020, with its windows boarded up
See earlier photograph taken by Malcolm Graham on 31 July 2004

Joseph J. HENLEY, J.P., D.L, a Government Poor Law Inspector who was the eldest son of Joseph Warner Henley, M.P., was living at Shirburn Lodge in Shirburn, Oxfordshire at the time of the 1871 census but on 15 September that year when his daughter Georgiana Henley was married at Waterperry to Philip Digby Wykeham, Esq of Swalcliffe Park and Chinnor, his address was given as Shotover Lodge.

On 8 July 1876 the following auction was advertised in Jackson's Oxford Journal:

Shotover Lodge, near Oxford.

A particularly attractive & very valuable FREEHOLD and TITHE-FREE (with a small part COPYHOLD) RESIDENTIAL ESTATE, known as “SHOTOVER LODGE,” with 51A, 3R. 4P of excellent ARABLE PASTURE, and GARDEN LAND (portions thereof well adapted for Building), situate three miles from Oxford and two from Wheatley,

Lot 1.—A convenient Brick-built and slated RESIDENCE, KNOWN AS “SHOTOVER LODGE,” with Stabling, Coach-house, Out-buildings, small Farmery, Garden, Orchard, and 4 Enclosures of PASTURE LAND, containing in the whole 25A. 2R. 24P., now in the occupation of Jos. J. Henley, Esq., under Lease terminating Sept. 29, 1878, at the annual rent of £126.
The Property is Freehold, excepting 3A. 0R. 37P., which are Copyhold of Inheritance. There is no Land Tax.

On 22 July 1876 Henley's youngest daughter Emily Augusta Henley married Ellis Frederick Dudgeon at Waterperry, and on 9 January 1877 his only son J. Arthur Henley married Kate Isabelle Graves at Cork.

Henley must have renewed his lease of Shotover Lodge after it terminated, as in the 1881 census he was listed there with his wife Kate, two of his children, and his daughter-in-law, grandson, and six servants, and it was still his address in July 1883.

By the December 1883 Thomas Ellames WITHINGTON, M.A., the eldest son of Thomas Ellames Withington senior of Culcheth Hall, Warrington, Lancashire lived here. His marriage to Jane Florentia GOLDING was announced in The Times on 11 October 1884. The house was still occupied by Withington when it was advertised for sale in Jackson's Oxford Journal of 26 May 1888. Included in the sale were Gardens, Pleasure Grounds, Stables, Coachhouse, Farm Buildings, Dairy, Bailiff's House, Cottages, Land, &c. Withington remained in the house until 1890.

On 8 June 1889 the house was advertised to let in Jackson's Oxford Journal:

SHOTOVER LODGE, NEAR OXFORD.
TO be LET (UNFURNISHED) for 3 years, or such other term as may be arranged. —All that excellent Residence,, Garden, Pleasure Grounds, Stables, Bailiff's House, Cottages, &c. , known as SHOTOVER LODGE. The House contains 11 bed rooms, 3 good reception rooms, with servants' hall and the usual domestic offices. There is a three stall table, 2 loose boxes, and 2 coach-houses for four carriages and saddle room, 2 rooms over coachman's cottage, 2 lawn tennis grounds, and about 20 Acres of Pasture.

On 26 April 1890 an advertisement for the forthcoming auction of the house appeared in The Times:

Shotover-lodge, near Oxford, a desirable residence, of modern construction, with carriage-drive approach 200 yards in length, having a south aspect with good views, and containing 11 bed rooms, three reception rooms, and offices; suitable stabling, gardens, and about 31 acres of well-timbered pasture land; also, close to the foregoing, another 21½ acres of land, with farmhouse, buildings, &c., for Sale in two lots.

It was advertised similarly in Jackson's Oxford Journal on 12 August 1890, followed by an advertisement on 13 September 1890 of an auction of T. E. Withington's live and dead farming stock,

Comprising 4 very choice ALDERNEY and SHORTHORN DAIRY COWS in excellent condition, splendid Ripe Maiden HEIFER, 2 prime FAT HOGS, an exceedingly good 4-year-old BROWN FILLY by “John Ridd” (broken to saddle), capital CART with Shambles, Water Cart with Pump and Manure distributor, 2 Chaff Cutters, portable POULTRY HOUSE on iron wheels, Cake Crusher, Root Pulper, Winnowing Machine, 2 Bean and Oat Mills, Hathaway's Churn, and other Dairy Utensils, Lawn Mower complete Set of Tennis, Harness and numerous other Effects.

It appears that it was bought by Colonel James Miller who had purchased the Shotover House estate in 1871.

On 28 March 1891 Shotover Lodge was advertised as being to let again, and from later that year the early 1920s it was occupied by Anthony John [Compton-]Thornhill and his wife, the daughter of Miller. (The surname Thornhill seems to be a strange coincidence, as the Thorn Hill nearby shown on this map probably gave the area its later name.)

Anthony John Thornhill (later Sir Anthony John Compton-Thornhill)

Anthony was born in Pakenham, Suffolk on 2 August 1868. He was the son of Sir Thomas Thornton (1st Baronet Thornhill of Riddlesworth Hall, Riddlesworth co. Norfolk and of Pakenham Lodge, Pakenham, Suffolk) and Katherine Edith Isabella Hodgson.

He attended Sunningdale School in Berkshire.

On 2 September 1891 at Forest Hill Church, Anthony John THORNHILL (23) of St George's parish, Hanover Square, London married Ethel Margaret Maria MILLER, the daughter of Lieutenant Colonel James Miller of Shotover House, and they moved into Shotover Lodge and its estate on the London Road.

Their only child Richard Anthony Thornhill was baptised at Forest Hill on 24 July 1892.

It appears that the Thornhills spent a period away in 1897, as on 24 September that year the following advertisement appeared in the Morning Post:

OXFORD (near to). — To be LET. Unfurnished, SHOTOVER LODGE: 10 bed-rooms, three reception-rooms, stabling for five horses, pleasure grounds; 20 acres grass land, modern farmery; most healthy district; three packs of foxhounds; rent £150.

Anthony became the 2nd Baronet Thornhill when his father died on 2 April 1900.

At the time of the 1901 census Anthony (32) was a Captain in the Prince of Wales's Own Norfolk Artillery and living at Shotover Lodge with his wife Ethel (35) and their son Richard (8). They had five servants who lived in the house (a cook, housemaid, kitchenmaid, lady's maid, and footman), and a gardener and his family lived in a cottage in the grounds.

In 1902 Anthony's maternal grandmother Mrs Catherine Moneypenny Huntley née Compton was granted permission to take the surname and arms of Compton combined with Thornhill for herself and her issue, and Anthony adopted the surname Compton-Thornhill.

In 1909 Colonel James Miller of Shotover House in Wheatley died, leaving Shotover Lodge for the use of his wife for life, then for the use of his son Alfred Douglas Miller for his life, and then to his sons. They evidently continued to allow Colonel Miller's daughter and son-in-law to continue living in the house.

In 1911 Sir Anthony Compton-Thornhill (42), Second Baronet, was living on private means at Shotover Lodge with his wife and son Richard, who was now 18, and six servants (a cook, housekeeper, kitchenmaid, butler, and footman). The house was described as having fifteen rooms (excluding scullery and bathroom). There were now two cottages on the estate: one was occupied by his coachman-chauffeur plus his family, and the other, described as Farm Cottage, was occupied by a farm bailiff.

By 1914 they were living at Carham Hall, Northumberland. Their only child Lieutenant Richard Anthony Compton-Thornhill was killed in France at the age of 22 very near the start of the First World War on 14 September 1914 (CWGC entry). He is remembered on the plaque below in Forest Hill Church:

Compton-Thornhill plaque

By the early 1920s Sir Anthony and Lady Compton-Thornhill were living at Barham Hall, Ipswich, Suffolk. They were still living there in 1939. Sir Anthony died at 22 Park Road, Ipswich on 17 March 1949 without an heir, and the baronetcy died out.

Portrait of Sir John Compton-Thornhill in 1928

By 1924 Shotover Lodge had been renamed Forest Lodge and was occupied by Major-General Sir Robert Fanshawe, K.C.B., D.S.O.

By 1928 Major Aubrey Vere, DSO lived in Forest Lodge, and he was still there in 1936.

In 1938 Forest Lodge was occupied by Lieutenant-Colonel Eric Harrison.

From 1941 to 1956 the house was the Forest Lodge Hotel.

In 1956 A. C. Nielsen Co. Ltd., a market research firm with five offices in central Oxford, took over Forest Lodge and by 1958 had erected new buildings in its grounds, continuing to use the old house as offices. Nielsen's sold Forest Lodge and its grounds to developers and moved to the Oxford Business Park in March 2018. In September 2024 planning permission was granted for a second major development at Thornhill (21/01695/FUL) including the partial demolition and alterations to the Forest Lodge building.

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home