Shark

Headington history: Streets

Go backwards
Go forwards

Pullen's Lane: Section contents


Origins of Pullen’s Lane     

 Jo Pullen’s Tree

Date built

Name(s) of house

First owner

Rebuilt
1886

Pullen’s/Brockless/Brockleaze Cottage,
Now known as Pullen’s Gate

Evelyn Abbott
Fellow in Classics at Balliol College

1879–1880

The Pullens/Fairfield (demolished)
EF Language School now on the site

Sir William Markby
Reader in Indian Law

1881–1882

The Croft
Now part of Rye St Antony School

Paul Ferdinand Willert
Fellow of Exeter College

1883–1884

Torbrex/Pullens End
Still a private house

Patrick Arkley Henderson
Fellow of Wadham College

1886–1887

Langley Lodge
Now part of Rye St Antony School

Philip Lyttleton Gell
Secretary to the Delegates of the Clarendon Press

1889–1890

The Vineyard/Pollock House
Now The Vines (SCIO)

Sydney Howard Vines
Sherardian Professor of Botany

1890–1892

Napier House/Cotuit Hall
Now belonging to EF

Arthur Sampson Napier
Professor of English Language and Literature

1899–1900

Mendip House

Herbert Francis Fox
Tutor of Brasenose College

1910

High Wall

Miss K.J.D. Feilden

See also

Harberton Mead (originally deemed to be part of Pullen’s Lane)

Jack Straw’s Lane (always tacked on to the end of the Pullen’s Lane census))

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home