Sir Arthur Latham Ormerod was the first full-time Medical Officer of Health for Oxford from 1901 to 1929. At his instigation an open-air school was opened in 1928 in the Manor House Grounds, now the site of the John Radcliffe Hospital.
Originally the Open Air School catered for 40 day-pupils in the winter and 50 in the summer, and most of them suffered from tuberculosis.
By 1955 the nature of the school had changed, and it catered for children with physical handicaps. In 1959 it was renamed the Ormerod School, after its founder.
In 1976, with the coming of the John Radcliffe Hospital, the school moved to a new site in Waynflete Road, Barton, with accommodation for 120 children of all ages and a nursery unit for 20.
The Ormerod School was amalgamated with the Marlborough School in Woodstock and moved to that site in 2005.