Shark

Headington history: Pubs and beerhouses

Go backwards
Go forwards

Former New Inn, 282 London Road


New Inn sign

This was in the Quarry section of London Road, just past the Workhouse and before Green Road. It was originally numbered 162 London Road, but was renumbered 282 London Road. The frame of its old inn sign still survives (above) and is used by the current occupants

It was built with an adjoining row of nine cottages in about 1859, but was always known as the “New” Inn.

The New Inn had the following landlords:

  • 1861: Thomas Snow
  • 1869–1877: Henry Quarterman
  • 1881: Philip Durham
  • 1885–1921: Daniel Stevens (whose wife Mrs Jane Stevens poisoned herself with carbolic acid here: see Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 6 May 1899).
  • 1922–1931: John Henry Stevens.

On 19 May 1866 its forthcoming auction (together with two adjoining houses) was advertised thus in Jackson's Oxford Journal:

TO BREWERS AND OTHERS.
VALLUABLE FREEHOLD PROPERTY,
A road-side FREE PUBLIC HOUSE, known as the “NEW INN”, together with
9 COTTAGES and large Gardens, all adjoining,
And fronting the Turnpike Road at HEADINGTON, about midway between Oxford and WHEATLEY, and several other populous villages….

Lot 1.—All that FREEHOLD PUBLIC HOUSE, known as the New Inn, comprising tap room, parlour, and kitchen, on the ground floor, four large bed rooms over the same, capital cellar in the basement, stabling for five horses and chaff room, with capital large hay loft, together with wash-house, piggeries, yard, and large garden attached; also Two COTTAGES on the west side thereof, each having a wash-house, piggery, and large garden, pump and well of excellent water, and other conveniences, the whole occupying a site of between 20 and 30 poles of ground, and fronting the turnpike road midway between Oxford and Wheatley.

Lot 2.—Seven capital COTTAGES, on the south-east side of and adjoining Lot 1, each having a wash-house, piggery, and about nine poles of garden ground, well of excellent water, and other conveniences, occupied by Messrs Elkerton, Bannister, and others, and producing an aggregate rental of £34 9s. per annum.

N.B. The whole of the foregoing Property is Freehold, Tithe-free, and Land Tax redeemed, and has been most substantially built within the last seven years of the best Headington free-stone range work, with blue slate, sash windows, and all other materials of the best quality. The public-house stands remarkably well for business, and is at the present time doing a very good trade; this Property may be fairly considered as first class of its kind.

On 7 September 1867 it was reported that the magistrates were unable to see the necessity for spirits to be served at this beer house, and its application was refused.

The old pub became a shop with tea rooms attached in the early 1930s, and was rebuilt around this time.

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home