Shark

Headington history: Pubs and beerhouses

Go backwards 
Go forwards

The Corner House


Corner House pubPhotographed during renovations in 2018

The Corner House pub stands at the southernost extremity of Headington, at the end of The Slade on the corner of Horpath Driftway and Hollow Way. Its address is 236 Hollow Way, Headington.

It was built in the mid-1930s. The site is near the former Cowley Barracks, and soldiers based at the barracks during the Second World War painted a series of murals inside the pub, and these are subject to a preservation order.

In 2013 Marston's Brewery sold the pub to New River Retail, who hoped to convert it into a convenience store:

It appears that the Co-op pulled out of a retail deal following the acquisition by Aldi of the former Curry's store at the other end of Horspath Driftway.

In 2015 the pub was successfully nominated by the Lye Valley Residents' and Tenants' Association as an Asset of Community Value.

New River Retail are currently leasing the pub back to Marston's, and in 2018 it is undergoing an extensive refit, but no planning applications have been submitted..

Some landlords of the Corner House

1936

Alexander Carmichael

1941–1947

Edward J. Chandler

1949

A. W. Childs-Clarke

1952–1954

A. W. Pearce

1956

W. Clarke

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home