Shark

Headington history: Old postcards

Go backwards
Go forwards

Old Road near Girdlestone Road


Old Road near Girdlestone Road

Old Road near Girdlestone Road today

The postcard above, which dates from around 1930, shows Old Road looking east towards Shotover. This stretch of road is now so masked with trees that the houses can barely be seen.

The house in the foreground with the pointed roof is the present 62 Old Road. When it was built in 1923 it was known as “The Grey Cottage”, and its first occupant was Dalziel Hammick. The private lane to the east of this house is now Girdlestone Road, and the two houses next door were demolished and replaced by a block of flats. Just visible in the distance are Harborne (now No. 68) and the Red House (now No. 72); the latter, now belonging to the Churchill Hospital, was occupied by the orthopaedic surgeon Gathorne Girdlestone from 1920 to 1948. Known as Girdlestone House, it is now boarded up and about to be demolished.

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home