Lime Walk/All Saints Road
The postcard above shows the crossroads at Lime Walk, looking north, probably very soon after All Saints Church was opened in 1910.
Across the road from the church is what used to be Highfield’s most important corner shop at 74 Lime Walk. It was already a grocer’s shop and post office at the time of the 1891 census, run by Joseph Draper, who continued in business there until 1913. In the above picture it has an advertisement for Sunlight Soap on the brickwork, and below a sign reading “Corn Merchant and Mealman”. Henry Dance and his son Alfred were grocers in this shop from 1925 to 1971.
Just to the north of the church on the east side of the road at No. 67 is a grocer’s shop, with a notice board on the side: this is where the father of Eric Hebborn, the famous art forger, worked in the early 1930s, before moving across to the corner shop at No. 74.
The above postcard of around 1905 shows Joseph Draper on the right, standing outside his shop,
and children near the wall of one of the houses that in 1910 would be demolished to make way for All Saints Church.