Barton Village Road
The tinted postcard shows a group outside Alf & Amelia Cooper’s cottage in Barton Village Road in about 1903. Behind them is the Princes Castle pub, and the strange, flat, windowless face of Barton Manor
The sepia postcard shows a slightly different view of the same scene in the 1920s.
At this time this part of the present Barton estate was a hamlet of Old Headington, in the parish of St Andrew’s Church.
Soon after the second postcard was published, Barton was cut off from the rest of Old Headington by the northern bypass and a large council estate was built there and to the east of Bayswater Road..
Above: Barton village road from the opposite direction in the 1950s