Headington Quarry School
Above picture © Connie Coppock
The first part of Headington Quarry National School, designed by J. Brooks of London in the medieval style and built at a cost of £420, was opened by the Bishop of Oxford in September 1864. Jackson’s Oxford Journal for 1 October 1864 (p. 5e) gives full details of the event.
The site was jointly presented by the Master of University College (the Revd Dr Plumptre) and the Provost of Worcester College (the Revd Dr Cotton). The building was funded by the National Society, the Diocesan Board of Education, Magdalen and Brasenose Colleges, and some private contributions. Because it was a church school, it received no government aid, and so “the only assistance received by the Incumbent for the support of the school in this very poor district is an annual grant of £10 from Betton’s Charity”.
In 1882 a second room for 80 children (including a gallery for the under threes or “babies”) was built at a cost of £236, and it was connected to the existing school by a covered passage. Ten years later a third room was built, designed to accommodate 88 infants.
The school became a first school in 1975 when Oxford changed to a three-tier system, but was considered too small to be viable as a primary school when Oxford returned to the two tier system in 2003, and closed in that summer 2003. It is now used as the premises of Headington Quarry Foundation Stage School.