Hugo Dyson (1896–1975)
Henry Victor Dyson Dyson (1896–1975), generally known as Hugo Dyson (and who signed his writings H. V. D. Dyson) was one of the Inklings.
He was born on 7 April 1896.
Dyson taught English at the University of Reading from 1924.
He married his wife Margaret in the Wantage area in 1925.
He came to Oxford in 1945 after obtaining a Fellowship at Merton College.
With J. R. R. Tolkien, Dyson persuaded C. S. Lewis to become a Christian. Christopher Tolkien records how during his father’s reading of The Lord of the Rings, Dyson was “lying on the couch, and lolling and shouting and saying, ‘Oh God, not another elf’.”
In about 1963 Dyson moved from Rose Lane in central Oxford up to 32 Sandfield Road, where until 1968 Tolkien was his near neighbour at No. 76.
Dyson retired from his Fellowship at Merton College in 1969, but continued teaching modern literature after his retirement, and many of the writers discussed had been his personal friends.
Dyson remained in Headington until his death in 1975 at the age of 79, and is buried in St Cross Churchyard: see grave.
His wife Margaret Mary Bosworth Dyson died on 27 May 1993 and is buried with him.
Wikipedia: Hugo Dyson