Shark

Forum

News

Books and articles about Headington area

Novels, poems, and plays
  • Aldiss, Brian, Affairs at Hampden Ferrers: An English Romance (London: Little, Brown, 2004).
    This novel is loosely based on Brian’s experiences in helping to organize the Queen’s Golden Jubilee street party in Old Headington in 2002
  • Aldiss, Brian, Comfort Zone (Friday Project, 2013).
    Set in Headington, where there is a proposal to turn a loosely disguised Black Boy pub into a mosque
  • Blackmore, R. D., Cripps the Carrier (1876).
    This novel is set in 1837, and Cripps was the Beckley carrier. There are descriptions of the London Road as it passes through Headington (especially of the Gladstone Road quarry), and passages about Cinnaminta and the gipsies who lived off the Slade
  • D’Anvers, Alicia, Academia, or The humours of the University of Oxford, in burlesque verse (London, 1716).
    This includes a description of Joan of Headington
  • Dawson, Jennifer, The Ha-Ha (1961).
    This novel is based on the author’s six-month stay at the Warneford Hospital
  • Heffron, Doris, A Shark in the House (Toronto: Key Porter Books, 1996)
    With Bill Heine loosely disguised as Chick Lang
  • Harris, Richard Barham (“Thomas Ingoldsby”), My Cousin Nicholas, published in Blackwood’s Magazine in 1834 (new edition by George Routledge & Co reviewed in Jackson’s Oxford Journal of 22 October 1856)
    This includes a visit by Sir Oliver to Joe Pullen’s Tree
Biographical
  • Allen, Brigid, Morrells of Oxford: The Family and their Brewery 1743–1993 (Alan Sutton Publishing, 1994).
    The Morrell family built Headington Hill Hall
  • Baron, B., The Doctor. The story of John Stansfeld of Oxford and Bermondsey (London: Edward Arnold, 1952)
    John Stansfeld purchased what is now the Stansfeld Centre in Quarry for St Ebbe's Church
  • Beadle, Muriel, These Ruins are Inhabited (Robert Hale, 1961).
    The Beadles lodged at 77 Old High Street (opposite the former Bell pub) in the 1950s
  • Brown, Bryan, John Henry Brookes: The Man Who Inspired a University (Oxford Brookes University, 2015)
  • Chaundy, T. W., “William Kimber (1872–1961)”, Journal of the English Folk Song and Dance Society, Vol. IX, No. 3, December 1972.
    William Kimber
    was the famous morris dancer who lived in Headington Quarry
  • Haines, Mick, Up and Down the Greasey [sic] Pole (self-published booklet, 2017)
    Mick's scaffolding firm was used in the building of the John Radcliffe Hospital, and he was elected independent city councillor for Marston in 2012
  • Hansen, Anne Natalie, Oxford Goldsmiths before 1800 (Columbus, Ohio: At the Sign of the Cock, 1996:
    see section on, pp. 103–10 about Sir Joseph Lock, who built Bury Knowle House
  • Heine, Bill, Heinstein of the Airwaves: Discovering a Parallel World within Oxford (Chris Andrews Publications Ltd, 2008)
  • Heine, Bill, The Hunting of the Shark (OxfordFolio, 2011)
  • Hubbard, C.L.B., Memoir of the Rev. John Russell (1883), 61–2
  • Thomas, Roger, Tales of an Oxford Lad – A Barton Childhood 1942–1957 (Robert Boyd Publishing, 2010)
    Article
  • Trueta, J., Gathorne Robert Girdlestone (Oxford University Press, 1971).
    G. R. R. Girdlestone
    was responsible for the development of the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre
  • Woodhouse, Barbara, Just Barbara (M. Joseph, 1981)
    Barbara Blackburn, as she then was, grew up at Sandfield Cottage on the London Road
”Changing Faces” books
  • Bloxham, Christine and Shatford, Suzanne, The Changing Faces of Headington, Book 1 (Boyd Publications, 1996; reprinted 2003) ***Index***
  • Bloxham, Christine and Shatford, Suzanne, The Changing Faces of Headington, Book 2 (Boyd Publications, 1996; reprinted 2008) ***Index***
  • Yurdan, Marilyn, The Changing Faces of Headington, Book 3 (Boyd Publications, 2008) ***Index***
  • Newbigging, Carole and Angela Wood, The Changing Faces of Marston, Book 1 (Boyd Publications 1996)
  • Newbigging, Carole and Angela Wood, The Changing Faces of Marston, Book 1 (Boyd Publications, 1997)
Topographical
  • Blake, J. F., “Excursion to Headington”, Proceedings of the Geological Association, 1902, vol. 17, pp. 383–5
  • Brind, Ronald K., A Guide to the C.S. Lewis Tour in Oxford (Janus Publishing Company Ltd, 2005)
  • Graham, Malcolm, On Foot in Oxford: 5. Headington (Local History Collections, Central Library, Westgate, 1986)
Historical
  • Broomhead, Frank, The book illustrations of Orlando Jewitt (Private Libraries Association, Pinner, 1995).
    Orlando Jewitt was a famous wood engraver who lived and worked in Church House, 14 St Andrew’s Road, from 1838 to 1857
  • Clark, G. N., “Marston Church”, O.A.S. Rep. (1930)
  • Clark, G. N., Open Fields and Inclosure at Marston (O.R.S. vi, Blackwell, 1924)
  • Cocke, James, Some Corner. A short history of the church in the Parish of All Saints’ Highfield, Headington, Oxford, 1910–2010 (James Cocke, 2012)
  • Conolly, J., Report drawn up for the Committee of Management of the Warneford Lunatic Asylum (Oxford, 1857)
  • Cook, J. and Taylor, L., A Village Within a City: The story of Old Headington (Friends of Old Headington, 1987)
  • Coppock, G. A., and Hill, B. M., Headington Quarry and Shotover (Oxford University Press, 1933)
  • Dodgson, E. S., “The Croke epitaph at Marston”, Notes and Queries, 1903, p. 205
  • Edwards, John, The Medieval wall paintings formerly at St Andrew’s Church, Headington: the miraculous cornfield. The miracles of St Clement of Rome (1913); reprinted as offprint in Archaeological Journal, 145 (1988)
  • Emden, A. B., “Tombstones and tiles at St Andrew’s, Headington”, Oxoniensia 26 (1961), 339: available online
  • Evans, Evangeline, The Manor of Headington (Shipston-on-Stour: The King’s Stone Press, 19—)
  • Fox, John, Holton, Wheatley and Oxford in the Civil War (John Fox, 2004).
    This has a great deal on the Whorwood Lords of the Manor of Headington and Holton
  • Graham, Malcolm, “Housing Development on the Urban Fringe of Oxford, 1850–1914”, Oxoniensia LV (1990), pp. 147–166: available online
    See especially the Headington case study on the Highfield Estate on pp. 152–6:
  • Grant, Robert, “When Punch met Merry”. A Winter’s Tale, Boxing Day 1899, Sandfield Cottage, Headington, Oxford 100 Years On (Robert Grant, 1999)
  • Griffis, Dawn, Headington Hill Hall: The forgotten years, 1939–1958 (Lulu, 2012)
  • Harris, H. M., Between the White Gates: A History of the Barn, the Tree, and Some Notable Inhabitants of Pullen’s Lane, Headington (Oxford Polytechnic Press, 1975)
  • Harris, Martin J., Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre: A Pictorial History (Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre NHS Trust, 2011)
  • “Headington”, Gentleman’s Magazine, 1816, pt. 1, pp. 9–10
  • Headington Parish Magazine for 1871
  • Hibbert, Christopher and Edward (eds.), The Encyclopaedia of Oxford (Macmillan, 1988), passim
  • Hodgkinson, Will, The Ballad of Britain (2009)
    This includes a visit to the Headington Quarry morris dancers
  • Holland, Jack, Howkins, Alun, Samuel, Raphael, Headington Quarry and the Fight for the Open Magdalens (History Workshop pamphlet)
  • Holy Trinity, Headington Quarry, Oxford 1849–1999 (Holy Trinity Church, 2000)
  • Howland, Andy and Roger, Oxford United: A Complete Record 1983–1989 (Breedon Books Sport, 1989)
  • Jenkins, Stephanie, “The laundresses of New Headington”, Oxfordshire Local History, Vol. 5, No. 4 (Autumn 1998), pp. 21–29. Much of it is repeated here
  • Jewitt, L. L., “On Roman remains recently discovered at Headington”, Journal of the British Archaeological Association, 1850, vol. 5, p. 159; vol. 6, pp. 52–67
  • Kelly, Tony, St. Nicholas Church, Old Marston, Oxford: A History [St Nicholas’ PCC, Marston, 1999]
  • Ruskin Fellowship of Ex Students Pamphlet 3: 70 Years: A History of Ruskin College at Headington 1946–2016 (spiral-bound, Ruskin College, 2016)
  • S.O.S. Mais, “Old Headington still keeps its village charm”, Oxford Mail, Friday 14 January 1955, pp. 8–9
  • Mason, Edna, “Headington Quarry c.1820–1860: a Study of a 19th-Century Open Village”, Oxoniensia 54 (1989), 363–377: available online
  • Mogey, J. M., Family and Neighbourhood. Two Studies in Oxford (Oxford University Press, 1956).
    This compares the Barton estate (which was then newly built) with the old St Ebbe’s area
  • Morgan, Nina and Powell, Philip, The Geology of Oxford gravestones (2015)
    Two of the six sections relate to St Andrew's churchyard and Headington Cemetery
  • [Nichols, Vincent, Archbishop of Birmingham], Solemn consecration of the Church of St Anthony of Padua, Headley Way, Oxford, 13 June 2000 (Oxford: De La Salle, 2000)
  • [Oxford Brookes University], Celebrating 150 Years (Oxford Brookes University, 2015)
  • Oxfordshire Federation of Women’s Institutes: Oxfordshire: Within Living Memory (1994)
    pp. 50–52 (a house in Windmill Road);
    pp. 8–69 (the corner shop at 107 Windmill Road);
    pp. 223–4 (Headington during the second world war)
  • Parker, J. H., “On the wall paintings recently discovered in Headington Church”, Proceedings of the Oxford Architectural and Historical Society, vol. 1 (1851)
  • Peacocke, Felicity, Headington Hill Hall: an anecdotal history (Oxford: s.n., 1994)
  • Radcliffe Lunatic Asylum, Useful information concerning the origin, nature, and purpose of the Radcliffe Lunatic Asylum, on Headington Hill, near Oxford, and the pecuniary benefits which it is able to confer upon the friends and relatives of lunatics from respectable and educated life, should their circumstances be such as to require pecuniary aid (Oxford, 1840)
  • Rimmer, Alfred, “Ancient stone crosses of England”, in The Art-Journal, 1870, pp. 205–6 (includes a drawing of Headington cross)
  • Rimmer, Paul Nathanael, S. Nicholas Church, Old Marston, Oxfordshire (Ramsgate: Graham Cumming, 1961)
  • St Andrew’s Church, Headington, Oxford (Oxford, 1972). ISBN: 0950261602
  • Sacks, Gerald, A Short History of the Manor Surgery (Manor Surgery, 2017)
  • Salmon, Graham, Beyond Magdalen Bridge: The Growth of East Oxford (East Oxford Archaeology & History Project, 2010)
  • Samuel, Raphael, “‘Quarry roughs’: life and labour in Headington Quarry, 1860–1920. An essay in oral history”, in Raphael Samuel (ed.), Village Life and Labour (Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1975)***Index***
  • Samuels, Olga, An Oxford Conservation Area. Headington Quarry (Ewert Press, 1994)
  • Simpson, N. T., “The Headington Union Minute Book” (thesis about the Headington Workhouse)
    Available at the Oxfordshire History Centre in Cowley at 362.5 (SIM) Stack)
  • Snow, Peter, Oxford Observed (John Murray, 1991), pp. 175–7
  • Taylor, Leslie and Griselda, Within Living Memory (Friends of Old Headington, 1978). ***Index***
  • Thomas, Vaughan, An account of the origin, nature, and objects of the asylum on Headington Hill, near Oxford, considered as a benevolent institution for the reception, relief, and cure of the insane, published in 1827 (s.n, 1827)
  • Thomas, Vaughan, Refutations made by the writer of the article in the Quarterly Review for October 1844 entitled Report of the Metropolitan Commissions in Lunacy, … as far as they relate to the conduct and practice of the Warneford Asylum on Headington Hill… (Oxford, 1844)
  • Thomas, Vaughan, Christian Philanthropy Exemplified in a Memoir of Samuel Wilson Warneford (Oxford, 1855).
    Samuel Warneford founded the Warneford Hospital.
  • The Warneford Hospital, Oxford: 1826–1976 (Holywell Press, 1976)
  • Walker, Rhona, “Bury Knowle House in context: its history, design, and architecture”, Oxoniensia 72 (2007), pp. 37–54.graham Available online
  • Weaver F.W. and G. N. Clark (eds.),Churchwardens’ Accounts of Marston, Spelsbury, and Pyrton (O.R.S. vi)
  • Wilberforce, Samuel, A sermon preached at St Aldate’s Church, Oxford, on behalf of a proposed church and parsonage house at Headington Quarry by Samuel, Lord Bishop of Oxford (Oxford & London, 1847)
  • Youngs, F., Local Administrative Units: Southern England (London: Royal Historical Society, 1979), p. 398 (Headington parish)
Council surveys
  • Buchanan, Colin & Partners, Oxford County Council and Oxford City Council Headington and Marston Area Transport Study: recommended strategy (Colin Buchanan & Partners, 2001)
  • Oxford City Council, Headington activity survey 1975 (Oxford City Council, 1977)
  • Land Use Consultants (Great Britain), Oxford local plan review consultation: St Clement’s, Headington, Headington Quarry, and Headington Hill, prepared for Oxford City Council, April 2001 (London, 2001)

© Stephanie Jenkins

 

Headington home Shark Oxford History home