Shark

Forum

News

Headington Registration District

Note that civil registration districts were very large. The Headington one encompassed 42 square miles as early as 1852, and later became much larger. So if you find references in Free BMD to your ancestors in the Headington Registration District, the chances are that they did not live Headington itself.

Civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths in
England and Wales started on 1 July 1837.

The Headington Registration District existed
from 1 July 1837 to 31 December 1931

It was taken under the Oxford Registration District in 1932.

Hence when searching for Headington people using Free BMD you need to select the district as follows:
Headington from the third quarter of 1837 to the last quarter of 1931
Oxford from the first quarter of 1932 to the present.

The reason it is named the Headington Registration district is that Headington was the head of the Bullingdon Hundred and hence its Poor Law Union (which is why the workhouse for the whole area was built there).

The Parishes and Townships of the Headington Registration District/Union

Parishes from the foundation of the Headington Union up to abolition of Headington Registration District in 1931.
Where no date is given, the parish existed from the foundation of the Union

Beckley

Church of the Assumption (1844)

Including Stow Wood (Stowood)

Cowley

Cowley St James Church

 

Cowley St John Church (1870)

Formerly part of St James’s parish

Cuddesdon

All Saints’ Church

Including Denton and Chippinghurst

Elsfield

St Thomas à Becket Church

 

Forest Hill

St Nicholas’s Church

Including Shotover

Garsington

St Mary’s Church

 

Headington

St Andrew’s Church

 

All Saints (Highfield) Church (1910)

Formerly part of St Andrew’s parish

Holy Trinity (Quarry) Church (1849)

Formerly part of St Andrew’s parish.
Including Shotover Hill Place

Holton

St Bartholomew’s Church

 

Horton-cum-Studley

St. Barnabas’s Church (1867)

Formerly part of Beckley parish

Horspath

St Giles’s Church

 

Iffley

St Mary the Virgin Church

Including Hockmoor

Littlemore 

St Mary & St Nicholas (1836)

 

Marston

St Nicholas’s Church

 

Oxford

St Andrew’s Church, north Oxford, Part of (1906)

Formerly part of St Giles’s parish

St Clement’s Church

 

St Giles’s Church

 

St John the Baptist Church

Ceased to be parish church in 1900:
now Merton College Chapel

St Paul’s district chapelry (part of)

Formerly part of St Giles’s parish

Ss Margaret’s Church (1896)

Formerly part of Ss Philip & James’s parish

Ss Philip & James’s Church

Formerly part of St Giles’s parish

Stanton St John

St John’s Church

 

Summertown

St Michael & All Angels (1834)

Formerly part of St Giles’s parish

Wheatley

St Mary the Virgin

 

Woodeaton
(Wood Eaton
)

Holy Rood

 

The Headington District Registry Offices

From the time of the Marriage Act of 1753 until 1837, the only marriages recognized in England and Wales were those conducted by the Church of England, or Quakers, or Jews. This was changed by the Marriage Act of 1836 which, in addition to introducing civil marriage, also allowed Nonconformist ministers and Roman Catholic priests to act as registrars.

From 1837 until 1932, the marriages of people who lived in the Headington District could take place in the area’s main registry office instead of a church. The first marriage in the Headington Register Office took place on 7 October 1839.

The Headington District Registrars are not listed in directories until 1874, when Thomas H. Hewlett of St Clement’s is listed as Registrar of Births Marriages, & Deaths for the Headington Sub-District, and W. M. Lovelock, Wheatley for the Wheatley sub-district. In 1877, the Superintendent Registrar was named as Francis Cripps.

Kelly’s Directory from 1883 gives more detailed listings with addresses, as follows:

Headington Registration District

Years

Registrar of Births & Deaths

Registrar of Marriages

Superintendent
Registrar

St Clement’s
sub-district:

Wheatley
sub-district:

1883–6

John Draper
49 Cowley Road (1883–1893) and 101 Cowley Road (1894–1911)

M. C. Tubb

John Draper
49 Cowley Road (1883–1893) and 101 Cowley Road (1894–1911)

 

Deputy:
Frank J. Draper,
101 Cowley Road
(1912–13)

Francis Cripps
at 19 Market Street, Oxford (1883–90) and 9 South Parade, Summertown (1893)

1887–90

John Hale

1893

1894–8

Thomas William
Mallam, M.A.,

126 High Street,
Oxford

 

Deputies:
Henry Coles (1900–10)
and
Percy Neville Prior (1911–15)
at same address;
and Henry Coles at 127 Kingston Road,
Oxford (1916–19)

1900–4

Richard Henry Life

1906–10

 

Ernest A. Purnell
Stanton St John

Deputy: Mrs Florence Purnell
(1912–21)

1911

1912–13

Charles Frederick Walter Talbot
83 Cowley Road

(also at 10 Woodstock Road and 32 South Parade from 1913)

1915

George Quick 83 Cowley Road

Deputy Ernest G. Jackman

(also at 10 Woodstock Road and 32 South Parade)

Ernest Gordon Jackman
5 Bullingdon Road, Oxford

Deputy:
F. J. Grimsdale, 4 George Street, Oxford
(1916–22)

1916–21

1922

George Quick
121 Iffley Road

(also at 10 Woodstock Road and 32 South Parade)

S. E. Winn
Stanton St John

Deputy:
Mrs Winn

1923

A. S. Sheldon

Deputy: Mrs Sheldon

1925–6

Thomas William Hull
Lloyd’s Bank Chambers,
2 & 3 High Street, Oxford

1927–9

Leonard Vincent Murphy at Lloyd’s Bank Chambers, 2 & 3 High Street, Oxford until 1929, and then at 12 King Edward Street

1930–1

Headington and Cowley became part of the City of Oxford in 1929, and it appears that shortly afterwards people from these areas could only get married in the Oxford Registry Office in St Giles. At the end of 1931 the Headington Registration District was abolished in its entirety

Note that although the Registrars were based in the sub-districts they represented, the Superintendent Registrar for Headington from 1893 onwards was actually based in the Oxford Registration district:

  • 1883–90: at 19 Market Street, Oxford
  • 1894–1923: at the solicitor’s office beside 126 High Street (in All Saints parish; St Martin & All Saints from 1896)
  • 19251929: at Lloyd’s Bank at Carfax (in St Michael-at-the-Northgate parish).

These offices would have been easy to reach from the parts of the Headington Union in north, central, and east Oxford, but people who lived well to the east of Headington would have had a long way to come for their weddings.

So if the wedding of your ancestors took place at the “Register Office of the Headington District in the Parish of St. Martin and All Saints in the City and County Borough of Oxford”, it was in the present HMG Law Offices (reached via a side passage at 126 High Street); and if it was at the “Register Office of the Headington District in the Parish of St. Michael-at-the-Northgate in the City and County Borough of Oxford” in the late 1920s, it was at the present Lloyd’s Bank.

After the absorption of Headington into Oxford

In 1929, Headington became part of the City of Oxford, and people who lived in the Headington Registration District immediately started to get married in the Oxford register office, although the Headington Registration District was not abolished until the end of 1931.

From 1929 to 1955 they would have been married at 13 St Giles’s Street (now part of the Lamb & Flag), and between 1955 and 1975 at 42 St Giles’s Street (now a dentist’s surgery).

Since 1955 weddings have taken place in the register office in New Road (below). This building is likely to be demolished to make way for a science discovery centre.

Register Office in New Road

Since 1 April 1995, civil marriages have been allowed to take place in building other than a register office that have been approved by the local authority as a suitable venue for wedding ceremonies. These venues include castles, restaurants, hotels, civic buildings and country houses.


Marston Family History Forwards

General tips on Oxfordshire family history Forwards

© Stephanie Jenkins

 

Headington home Shark Oxford History home