Park Hospital (“Boundary Brook House”) site
The University of Oxford bought the Park Hospital site from the Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust in 2012.
The outline planning application submitted by the University of Oxford relating to the integration and development of the 28-acre Park Hospital site (which it now owns) with its Old Road Campus in Headington was approved at the East Area Planning Committee meeting on 8 January 2013. The application comprises the following:
Demolition of existing buildings on application site. Outline planning application (fixing details of access) for the erection of 48,000sqm of class D1 research floorspace and ancillary facilities on 2 to 5 storeys over 5 building plots as an extension to University of Oxford Old Road Campus. Provision of 459 car parking spaces, cycle parking, hard and soft landscaping and boundary treatment.
Application 11/01918/FUL to provide a 100-space car park at the Park Hospital while the work goes on was approved earlier.
Old Road campus
The city council’s East Area Planning Committee on 3 August 2011 approved the planning application by the University of Oxford for a new £57m development on its Old Road campus, and work is under way.
The decision was called in to be reviewed on 31 August 2011 and was again approved.
- Report by David Rundle on the planning review meeting of 31 August 2011
- Statement by David Rundle on the calling in of the decision
- Report of Planning Review Committee
- Statement by David Rundle on the planning meeting decision
Construction work began in October 2011 for a 2013 opening.
The University is demolishing three buildings near the Churchill Hospital (the Richards, ORC Management, and Badenoch Buildings) and replace them with two new buildings:
- North side: Medicine Research Facility for the Nuffield Department of Medicine, with up to 100 staff
- South side: Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology (at present in London), with 120 scientists, 25 support staff, and 40 research students.
No increased parking will be provided, and local residents are concerned about traffic and parking problems.
- 8 January 2013: “University research facility to go ahead”
- 15 August 2012: “Park Hospital deal agreed for science site”
- 21 July 2012: “University’s hospital bid is ‘revolutionary’”
- 14 June 2012: “Medical centre is a jobs boost”
- 28 March 2012: “Park Hospital plan moves step closer”
- 21 November 2011: “University pledges to consult over Old Road campus”
- 2 September 2011: “Fears university will ‘overdevelop’”
- 25 August 2011: “Residents demand answers over Uni plans for Park Hospital site”
- 4 August 2011: “Residents can’t stop university’s £57m science building”
- 28 July 2011: “£57m science campus likely to gain planning permission”
- 23 June 2011: “Fears over impact of university’s £57m plan”
- 3 February 2011: “New Oxford University campus plans are a worry to residents”
- 5 August 2011: “New £57m Oxford Old Road medical labs to go ahead”