Shark

Marston history: Miscellaneous Marston history

Go backwards
Go forwards

Origin of street names


Oxford musicians

(linked to Wikipedia when possible)

  • Croft Road: William Croft (c.1677–1727) was awarded an Oxford D.Mus. in 1713
  • Crotch Crescent: William Crotch (1775–1847), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1797
  • Farmer Place: John Farmer (1835–1901), Organist at Balliol College
  • Goodson Walk: Richard Goodson (c.1655–1718), Professor of Music at Oxford 1682 to 1718, and his son, also Richard Goodson (c.1688-1740/1), Professor from 1718 to 1742
  • Hadow Road: Sir (William) Henry Hadow (1859–1937), Doctor of Music at Oxford
  • Hayes Close: William Hayes (c.1708–1777), Professor of Music at Oxford 1742 to 1777, and his son Philip Hayes (bap. 1738, d. 1797), Professor from 1777
  • Heather Place: William Heather (c.1563–1627), founder of the Heather Professorship of Music at Oxford
  • Hugh Allen Crescent: Sir Hugh Percy Allen (1869–1946), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1918 to 1946
  • Nicholson Road: Richard Nicholson (bap. 1563, d. 1638/9), Choirmaster and Organist at Magdalen College
  • Ouseley Close: Sir Frederick Arthur Gore Ouseley, second baronet(1825–1889), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1855 to 1889
  • Parry Close: Sir (Charles) Hubert Hastings Parry (1848–1918), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1900 to 1908
  • Purcell Road: Daniel Purcell (c.1670–1717), Organist at Magdalen College
  • Stainer Place: Sir John Stainer (1840–1901), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1889 to 1900
  • Taverner Place: John Taverner (c.1490–1545), Organist at Christ Church
  • Weldon Road: John Weldon (1676/7–1736), Organist at New College
  • Westrup Close: Sir Jack Allan Westrup (1904–1975), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1947 to 1971

Civil War

(linked to Wikipedia)

  • Arlington Drive: Henry Bennet, first Earl of Arlington (bap. 1618, d. 1685) entered the service of George, Lord Digby, secretary of state to Charles I, in 1643
  • Cavendish Drive: Charles Cavendish (1620–1643) was a royalist army officer
  • Cromwell Close: Oliver Cromwell (1599–1658), lord protector of England, Scotland, and Ireland. Came to meet Fairfax at the Manor House (now 15/17 Mill Lane), Marston
  • Fairfax Avenue: Thomas Fairfax, third Lord Fairfax of Cameron (1612–1671), a Parliamentarian who besieged Oxford and had his headquarters at Marston
  • Fane Road: Anne Spokes Symonds suggests that this could be named after John Fane, MP for Oxford (died 1924), or else a Captain Fane who served on the Bullingdon RDC when these roads were built. But it could also have been named after Mildmay Fane, second earl of Westmorland (1602–1666), a Royalist who turned Parliamentarian
  • Nicholas Avenue: Sir Edward Nicholas (1593–1669) was Secretary-of-State to Charles I

Local people
  • Boult’s Close: Named after the farm at the end of Boult’s Lane, farmed by the Haynes family
  • Broughton’s Close: The Broughton family farmed Court Place Farm
  • Cannon’s Field: The Cannon family farmed in Marston in the nineteenth century
  • Cumberlege Close: The Revd H.A. Cumberlege was Vicar of Marston 1899–1904
  • Dent’s Close: Doreen Dent married Oliver Haynes, second son of Charles Haynes
  • Gordon Close: The Revd Richard Gordon (1804–77) was Vicar of Marston from 1849 to 1872
  • Harlow Way: Professor Vincent Harlow lived at 14 Oxford Road
  • Haynes Road: The Haynes family owned Cross Farm
  • Horseman Close: Helen Horseman (died 1922) was the mother of Charles Haynes, who farmed Boults Farm
  • Lodge Close: Named after Olive Lodge, one of the first women to be made a Deaconess (at Marston on 1 November 1972)
  • Moody Road: Emma and Jane Moody were the two sisters who started up a nursery school that eventually evolved into Milham Ford School
  • Mortimer Drive: The Revd J. H. Mortimer was Vicar of Marston 1905–1951
  • Peacock Road: Probably named after Mark Beauchamp Peacock the elder and younger, local landowners
  • Prichard Road: Alderman Mrs Mabel Prichard was a governor of Milham Ford School
  • Raymund Road: Named after Raymund Haynes, who lived and farmed at Cross Farm, Old Marston for many years during the 19th and /20th centuries
  • Rimmer Close: The Revd Paul Rimmer was Vicar of Marston from 1959 to 1990
  • Rippington Drive: The Rippingtons were the biggest landowners in Marston in the nineteenth century

Topographical
  • Ashlong Road: Local medieval field called Ashlong Furlong
  • Clays Close: After local field spelt Great & Little Clay Close in 1840
  • Copse Lane: After a local small wood
  • Ferry Road: This road led to the Cherwell punt ferry from Marston to Holywell
  • Jessops Close: Named after a local field on Boults Farm
  • Marsh Lane: Marston was originally “Marsh Town”
  • Mill Lane: Named after Marston Mill, which no longer exists
  • Ponds Lane: Named after the ponds which used to surround the church, and the streams which ran along the sides of this lane

Unknown origin
  • Beechey Avenue
  • Ewin Close
  • Lewell Avenue
  • Lynn Close
  • Salford Road

© Stephanie Jenkins

Headington home Shark Oxford History home