Marston in 1891
Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, and Oxfordshire, 1891:
MARSTON is a parish on the Cherwell, which forms part of the boundary of the parish, one third of a mile north-north-east from Oxford, in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Bullingdon, union of Headington, county court district of Oxford, rural deanery of Islip, archdeaconry and diocese of Oxford.
The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient and plain building of stone, in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the chancel is well proportioned and has an east window of three lights, with a spray of oak foliage carved in the apex of the dripstone: the recess of the first window on the south side is carried down and forms a sedile, and eastward of it is a small square piscina; on the same side is a blocked door, with a heavy carved label on the outside: the chancel arch is Transition Norman and near it is a hagioscope from the south aisle: the nave has arcades of four arches on the north and three on the south side, of the same style as the chancel arch, but not equally early: the clerestoried windows are Late perpendicular, as are the walls of both aisles and the north door: the tower partakes of the same features: in the chancel is a brass to Unton Croke esq. serjeant-at-law, ob. 1671, and to Anne, his wife, daughter and heir of Richard Here [= Hore] esq. of Marston; Croke resided at the Manor House and took a prominent part on the side of the Parliament in the Civil War: the church was restored in 1883 at a cost of £1,400, when the chancel was new roofed: there are 200 sittings. The churchyard formerly contained a cross, but this was taken down in 1830 in order to mend the church wall. The register dates from the year 1654. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £182, net yearly value £173, in the gift of the Rev. Evan Evans D.D. Master of Pembroke College, Oxford, and held since Nov. 1887 by the Rev. Chas. Morris B.A. Corpus Christi college, Oxford
One hundred acres of land in this parish are let out for the benefit of the proprietors of Marston and of the poor; a committee appointed assigns the portion of the poor according to a scale agreed upon; the rent-charge is termed “Forest money”.
The village cross, distinct from that formerly in the churchyard, was taken down about 1830 and the materials used for mending the roads.
The old Manor house, removed in 1843, was used as a place of meeting in May, 1646, by the Royal and Parliamentary Commissioners during the negociations for the surrender of Oxford.
The trustees of the late William Peppercorn are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Brasenose and Corpus Christi colleges, Oxford, Mrs. John Rippington and Edwin Rippington esq.
The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 1,212 acres; rateable value, £3,805; the population in 1881 was 515.
Parish Clerk, Richard Ward.
Post Office.—Mrs. Elizabeth Roberts, postmistress. Letters arrive through Oxford at 7.15 a.m. & dispatched at 6 p.m.; dispatched 2 p.m. on sundays. Oxford is the nearest money order & telegraph office
National School (mixed), erected in 1851, for 79 children & enlarged in 1887 for 100; average attendance, 100; Mr. Henry Furby, master; Mrs. Jane Rothwell, mistress
Carriers.—Willis, to Oxford daily; Coleman, Giles & Higgs pass through to Oxford wed. & sat. returning same day.