Shark

Forum

News

Parish Registers of Headington

Oxfordshire History Centre

The Oxfordshire History Centre in Cowley holds both the original parish registers as well as transcripts and online indexes. The transcripts are also available on the top floor of the Central Library in Oxford.

Oxfordshire Family History Society

The typed transcripts on microfiche of the Oxfordshire Family History Society (OFHS) have been superseded by their CD which contains all the typed parish registers (OXF-HED03). The monumental inscriptions of Holy Trinity church are also available on CD (OXF-MI-HDQ), but the transcribed inscriptions of St Andrew’s Church are only available in paper format in the Oxford History Centre.

St Andrew’s Church, Old Headington
 
Originals
(in Oxfordshire History Centre)
OFHS transcripts
(in Oxford History Centre and central library)
Christenings*
1681–1953
1681–1896
Marriages
1694–1993
1694–1886
Burials
1683–1981
1683–1900

Notes on St Andrew’s registers:

  • There are also Bishop’s Transcripts for the years 1678–9 only.
  • The Headington Webmaster has transcribed the St Andrew’s baptisms from 1896 to 1942 for the OFHS
  • Note that St Andrew’s Church was closed to further burials (except in existing family graves) in 1885. Since 1885, burials would usually have taken place in Headington Cemetery, Dunstan Road.
Holy Trinity Church, Headington Quarry
 
Originals
(in Oxfordshire History Centre)
OFHS transcripts
(in Oxford History Centre and central library)
Christenings
1849–1985
1849–1905
Marriages
1850–1993
1850–1927
Burials
1849–2000
1849–1902

Notes on Holy Trinity registers:

  • A transcript of the monumental inscriptions (primarily gravestones) of Holy Trinity Church is available for purchase on CD from the Oxfordshire Family History Society
  • The Headington Webmaster has transcribed the Holy Trinity baptisms from 1905 to 1929 and the burials from 1902 to 2000 for the OFHS
All Saints Church, Highfield

These records, which date from 1910, have been retained by the church and have therefore not been transcribed. This church has never had a graveyard, and burials would normally have taken place in Headington Cemetery, Dunstan Road.

Methodist Churches in Headington Quarry and New Headington

The following records were deposited at the Oxfordshire History Centre in late May 2002:

  • Headington Quarry Methodist Church:
    Marriage registers (dates not recorded)
    Accession No. 4994
  • Lime Walk Methodist Church:
    Baptism Registers 1923–1989, Marriage Registers 1934–1988
    Accession No. 4995

Note that until these records have been catalogued, written permission to view the records must be obtained from the depositor

Headington Cemetery, Dunstan Road

The original records of all burials that have taken place in this cemetery from 1885 to 1946 have been deposited at the Oxfordshire History Centre. If you want to locate the position or a grave, or are unable to visit the Oxfordshire History Centre, note that Headington cemetery has no office on site. Its records from 1885 to the present day are kept in the general cemetery office at Wolvercote Cemetery, which will accept E-mail enquiries.

Oxford Crematorium

Most people in more recent times would have been cremated rather than buried, and this would have taken place at Oxford Crematorium, which opened in 1939 in Bayswater Road, Headington (tel. 01865 351255).

© Stephanie Jenkins

 

Headington home Shark Oxford History home