Oxford Sri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara
295–7 London Road, Headington (near the corner of Northfield Road)
This new temple opened in August 2012, following approval of planning application 11/03101/FUL for the former Sharp & Howse building.
Each spring the group holds a colourful parade (Nagar Kirtan) to bring the message of Waheguroo to their local community:
Former homes of the temple
- Until 2006: Cheney Community Centre (right)
- 2006–May 2011: 69 Cherwell Drive, Marston
On 20 January 2009 the Sikhs were refused retrospective planning permission for a temple at this address after neighbours spoke of the problems caused by traffic and parking (07/01975/FUL). They lost their appeal against this decision in March 2010, and on 17 May 2011 the North-East Area Committee resolved “to instruct officers to seek immediate compliance with the outstanding requirements to both enforcement notices”, namely that they should remove the extension on the back of this semi-detached house and cease to use it as a temple.
- May 2011–August 2012: St Nicholas Primary School, Raymond Road, Marston.
- Oxford Mail, 14 August 2012: “A fresh start as Sikhs move into new temple”
- Oxford Mail, 29 June 2012: “Sikhs find home for temple at last”
- Oxford Mail, 9 January 2012: “Sikhs find a new home in the city”
- Oxford Mail, 8 July 2011: “Sikhs are searching for a place of prayer”
- Oxford Mail, 20 May 2011: “Neighbours pleased as council orders Sikhs to shut temple”
- Oxford Mail, 10 March 2010: “Sikhs lose fight to keep their temple in Cherwell Drive”
- Oxford Mail, 27 July 2009: “Sikhs appeal in temple site row”
- Oxford Mail, 23 January 2009: “Oxford Sikhs told to quit using 3-bed semi as a temple”
The Sikh temple (left) in September 2012